Social Work Field Placement Intern, Part Time
Opportunity for field placement in Cleveland and Columbus offices
For more than 93 years, the American Civil Liberties Union has been at the forefront of every major battle for civil liberties and social justice in this country. Principled and nonpartisan, the ACLU brings together activists from all walks of life in the advancement of equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
Field supervision of social work students is provided by an onsite licensed social worker. Student interns are supplied with a personal workspace and computer. They are given a unique opportunity to work with staff from various departments on coordinated campaigns to advance civil liberties policies at the state level. As a result, students come away from their field placement as empowered advocates who are able to apply the theoretical concepts of macro-level social change to their social work practice. The ACLU of Ohio has offices in Cleveland and Columbus. There is opportunity for field placement in both offices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the integrated advocacy program through a variety of public policy and legislative tasks.
- Participate in the speaker’s bureau by attending training and representing the ACLU of Ohio at events and festivals.
- Commitment to civil liberties, equality, and fairness
- Attention to detail
- Working toward Master of Social Work
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong writing, phone, and people skills
- High level of organizational ability
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently
- Data analysis skills
- Creativity and initiative
- Proficiency with computer programs, including Microsoft Office, Internet, and email
- Team player
- Strong capacity for follow through
- Ability to drive, with complete access to a car
- Communicating effectively with people in person, and via telephone, fax, and email
- Using a computer to create written communication
- Ability to effectively communicate with individuals of various backgrounds
- Ability to interact comfortably in public situations
The candidate is expected to work approximately 24 hours per week.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio is committed to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action in its employment, in its delivery of legal and educational services, and in its relationships with vendors and contractors. The organization will not tolerate discrimination with regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or marital or family status.
The ACLU of Ohio acts affirmatively to meet both the spirit and the letter of applicable polices and laws and to value and respect the diverse population it serves in Ohio.