Law Clerk or Legal Extern
The ACLU of Ohio seeks outstanding law students to provide support for our civil litigation and policy efforts. The Law Clerk position is a unique opportunity for students to gain experience for a career in advocacy and public service. An important part of our integrated advocacy team, law clerks work with staff from various departments to advance civil liberties.
Applications are accepted throughout the year, up until March 1 for the summer, July 1 for the fall, and October 1 for the following spring; new clerks are hired every semester as needed.
- Perform legal research and writing related to Constitutional law, §1983, and other complex federal litigation.
- Investigate complaints by researching facts and interviewing prospective clients.
- Assist with lawsuits and legislative efforts involving voting rights, mass incarceration, free speech, LGBTQ rights, criminal justice, privacy, and reproductive rights.
- Analyze pending bills and draft model bills.
- Research issues of public policy and develop policy recommendations.
- Public speaking on civil liberties issues.
Ideal candidates will have excellent legal research and writing skills, and a demonstrated interest in Constitutional law, civil liberties, and social justice. At least one semester of coursework in Constitutional law is strongly preferred, and preference will also be given to students with coursework in other relevant courses including First Amendment; Federal Courts; and Evidence. Preference is given to students with clinical, moot court, and/or law journal experience.
Hours are typically arranged around the student’s class schedule, but applicants must be able to commit to 20 hours each week in the office on a regular schedule. Law students seeking externships will also be considered. Externships are coordinated through each law school and are unpaid. The law clerk position pays $12.00 per hour.
Law clerks can be based in our Cleveland or Columbus office.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please indicate which term you are interested in (i.e. summer, fall , etc.) and how you heard about ACLU of Ohio clerk opportunities.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.