Voting Rights

ACLU Reaches New Agreement for Benefit of Purged Voters


Last fall, Secretary of State Jon Husted’s voter maintenance process which removed at least 2 million Ohio voters who voted infrequently, was struck down by the U.S. 6th District Court of Appeals. As a result, voters who were illegally purged now had an opportunity to cast a provisional ballot at their local precinct as long as they had not moved outside of their county. This temporary remedy remains in place for the special elections in May. If you have been purged from the voter rolls between 2011 and 2014, you can still cast a provisional ballot in the May 2, 2017 elections. All voters should fill out their provisional ballots carefully to ensure it will be counted. For more information about the voter purge case or voting in Ohio please visit

If You Have Been Illegally Purged

  • Can I still vote? Yes, voters who were purged because they were inactive may cast a provisional ballot at their polling place. If you have not moved, or have only moved within the county you were registered, your vote will in most cases count.
  • Can I vote early if I have been illegally purged? Yes, you can vote early in-person with a provisional ballot.
  • Can I vote if I have moved since I last voted? It depends. If you moved outside of the county you were registered to vote, you should have registered in that county, and you may not be qualified to vote. If you have not moved or only moved within the county, you can cast a provisional ballot and it may be counted.
  • Do I need to do anything after I’ve cast my provisional ballot to make sure it counts? No, you are not required to provide any additional proof if you’ve been illegally purged—your vote should be counted. You can call your local Board of Elections after the election to inquire about the status of your provisional ballot.
  • How will I know if I’ve been illegally purged? You can check your voter registration status at As part of the court’s order, the Secretary of State and Boards of Elections must have information on their websites informing voters that if they have been illegally purged that they may be able to cast a provisional ballot and have it counted. There will also be information online and available by telephone to help you determine where your correct polling place is located.
  • The poll worker told me that they cannot find me in the poll books and said I am not a registered voter. What should I do? Calmly, but firmly insist that you are entitled to a provisional ballot. If the poll worker is still unwilling to give you a provisional ballot, ask to speak to their supervisor or someone at the Board of Elections offices. Do not leave your polling place without casting a provisional ballot.
  • Do I still need to provide identification? Yes, all voters must provide some form of approved ID. Voters who lack necessary ID must cast a provisional ballot anyway, but it is important that you follow up with the Board of Elections afterwards to ensure they have the information they need to count your ballot. A list of approved IDs is available at


Posted to Voting Rights