Reform Is Needed
The ACLU believes immigration policies can be reformed and still respect civil liberties. To that end, the ACLU opposes any policies that include:
- mandatory detention and/or deportation of anyone that an immigration officer thinks is an undocumented person;
- requiring or encouraging local authorities to enforce federal immigration laws;
- indefinitely detaining an undocumented person who can’t be returned to his/her home country of origin for political or other reasons;
- removing constitutional due process protections and access to the courts for immigrants;
- requiring employers to stand in the place of immigration agents by verifying worker eligibility using federal databases; or
- requiring a biometric national ID.