Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming: A Civil Liberties Briefing
From seeking employment, housing, or simply trying to use the bathroom, transgender and gender-nonconforming people are arguably the most vulnerable segment of the LGBT community. Ohio has no non-discrimination protections for LGBT people, and we are one of just three states that does not allow transgender individuals to update the gender marker on their birth certificates to match their true identity. The ACLU of Ohio is fighting back against discrimination so that all people in Ohio are treated equally.
Listen to ACLU of Ohio General Counsel Susan Becker discuss transgender rights and bathroom laws on Sound of Ideas.
The ACLU believes that everyone has the right to be themselves and that people should not be discriminated against based on their gender identity. This one-pager provides an overview of some of the issues that transgender and gender non-conforming people face in everyday life, as well as information on legal document changes.
Citations and resources:
- The Williams Institute, How many adults identify as transgender in the United States? (June 2016) available http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/How-Many-Adults-Identify-as-Transgender-in-the-United-States.pdf.
- Human Rights Campaign, HRC National Survey of Likely Voters (2015) available at http://www.hrc.org/resources/hrc-national-survey-of-likely-voters.
- The Pew Research Center, A Survey of LGBT Americans: Attitudes, Experiences and Values in Changing Times (June 2013) available at http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/06/13/a-survey-of-lgbt-americans.
- The Williams Institute, Suicide Attempts Among Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Adults (Jan. 2014) available at http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/suicide-attempts-among-transgender-and-gender-non-conforming-adults/.
- Center for American Progress, Movement Advancement Project, Unjust: How the Broken Criminal Justice System Fails LGBT People, iii (Feb. 2016) available at http://www.lgbtmap.org/file/lgbt-criminal-justice.pdf.
- National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Findings of the National Transgender Discrimination Survey (2011) available at http://transohio.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Ohio-Results-Injustice-at-Every-Turn.pdf.
- Ohio Rev. Code § 2717.01.
- Ohio Department of Public Safety, Declaration of Gender Change, available at http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/News/US/OhioBMVGenderChangeForm2009.pdf.
- U.S. Dept. of State Foreign Affairs, Manual Vol. 7, 7 FAM 1300 Appendix M, Gender Change, available at http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/143160.pdf.
- Social Security Administration, RM 10212.200 Changing Numident Data for Reasons other than Name Change, available at https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212200.