ACLU OF OHIO and COVID-19 IN PRISONS, JAILS, & Youth facilities
The ACLU of Ohio is very concerned about the impact of COVID-19, aka coronavirus, in Ohio’s prisons, jails, and youth facilities and how it may and will affect people locked up in these locations.
We recognize it is frequently difficult for incarcerated individuals to report problems behind bars to those outside. With COVID-19, we understand it will be even more difficult.
For that reason, we encourage families, loved ones, facility staff and others to report to us problems they are aware of, concerns, and observations using [email protected].
Our plan is to use this information to most effectively advocate for those incarcerated and identify trends so we can protect the civil liberties of all. (Please note: e-mailing [email protected] does not offer or guarantee legal representation or advice. If you are seeking legal assistance, please submit a complaint for review through our Need Legal Help page.)
Link to Department of Rehabilitation and Correction information about current visitation policies plus DRC’s own phone number and email regarding COVID-19 concerns can be found here.
Recent efforts on criminal justice, transparency, and immigration:
- March 10, 2020: Letter to Governor DeWine regarding COVID-19 and DRC
- March 18, 2020: ACLU of Ohio Unveils Two New Efforts Regarding COVID-19 and the Incarcerated Population
- March 24, 2020: Ohio Advocacy Groups Urge Ongoing Transparency Regarding COVID-19 Concerns in Prisons and Youth Facilities
- March 26, 2020: Ohio Prison & Youth Facilities Now Providing Daily Updates Re: COVID-19 Following Coalition Request
- March 27, 2020: Advocacy Groups Send Request to Governor DeWine: Reduce Incarcerated Populations Immediately
- April 1, 2020: ACLU of Ohio Urges Governor DeWine to Consider Seven Categories When Determining Prison Reductions
- April 6, 2020: Juvenile Justice Advocates Express Concern about Youth in Shelter Care & Non-Secure Residential Facilities in Letter to Juvenile Stakeholders
ACLU of Ohio, COVID-19, & Voting Rights
Recent efforts on voting rights:
- March 30, 2020: ACLU Ohio, Demos, and Lawyers’ Committee File Lawsuit on behalf of Ohio League of Women Voters and Ohio APRI Challenging Ohio’s ‘New’ Primary
- April 3, 2020: Statement from Plaintiffs and Their Attorneys in League of Women Voters v. LaRose
ACLU of Ohio, COVID-19, & Abortion
Recent efforts on abortion rights:
- March 30, 2020: Hours After Abortion Providers Sue Ohio, Judge Grants Emergency Relief for Patients Seeking Abortions
For a list of actions taken by other organizations, please visit our Partner Action page.