Students: Become A Poll Worker!
Interested in becoming a poll worker? Would you like community service, extra credit, additional pocket money, or a boost to your college application? If you are…
- Fair-minded, patient, and ready to help fellow voters;
- 17 and registered to vote by Election Day; and,
- In good academic standing
…you can apply! Here’s some of what you can expect when you apply…
- You’ll need to register to vote;
- Get your parents and school officials to sign a permission form; and,
- Attend a few-hour evening or weekend paid training session.
…and on Election Day…
- You’ll help voters sign in and find their voting locations;
- Make sure voting machines are working properly;
- Help enforce the rules that maintain the fairness and security of the day’s election; and,
- Work from 6 a.m. until your polling place finishes tallying votes, after 8 p.m.
Call or email your local board of elections to find out how to apply for this rewarding opportunity. Every county has a different deadline, so make sure your application is in as soon as possible. Being a poll worker is a demanding job, which is why we need capable, patient students like you to rise to the challenge.
You can also download a pdf of the student poll worker card: Be the one to make a difference. Volunteer to be a poll worker.