Stay up to date on latest news and reports on the reform process in Cleveland.
Cleveland Police Accountability Initiative Wins!
On November 2, 2021, Cleveland voters overwhelmingly approved Issue 24 – a ballot measure brought forward by the Citizens for a Safer Cleveland – to significantly strengthen civilian oversight of the police in Cleveland.
Specifically, this charter amendment will:
- Strengthen and reinforce the existing police oversight systems in Cleveland,
- Expand the investigative and disciplinary powers of the Civilian Police Review Board (CPRB),
- Establish a permanent Community Police Commission to serve as the final city authority regarding the discipline of police officers,
- Grant the CPC the power to implement its policy recommendations, and
- Ensure investigations are truly independent by guaranteeing that the Office of Professional Standards reports to The CPRB (and not to the police chief).
Learn more about Issue 24 and Citizens for a Safer Cleveland here: https://safercle.org/
Most Recent Court Filings
- September 3, 2021 – Court order approving the Cleveland Community Police Commission’s right to access information.
- August 6, 2021 – Notice submitting the Monitor’s recommendation regarding the United States’ motion to enforce.
- August 5, 2021 – Reply in support of the motion to enforce the Cleveland Community Police Commission’s right to access information.
- July 29, 2021 – The City’s Response to the motion to enforce the Cleveland Community Police Commission’s right to access information.